Over the years, the debates over which one is better in the treadmill vs elliptical have been going on. Some people say that treadmill is better; it is a classic type of training machine that have existed for years – even decades. However, some people say that elliptical is better. Its newest technologies have made it possible for users to achieve better results and performance. If you want to know more about both machines, it is better to compare them one by one – viewing their benefits as well as their flaws.
Treadmill vs Elliptical: The Basic Understanding and Mechanism
In the comparison of treadmill vs elliptical, there are some basic mechanism that you need to know in order to differentiate both devices. The elliptical machine is also often called as the cross trainer or X-trainers. It is an exercise machine that is stationary, used mostly to stimulate running, walking, and even climbing without putting too much pressure on the joints. Because of this reason, the machine is often used by people who are injured. Not only they can stay fit, they can also reduce the impact of injuries.
The treadmill, on the other hand, is the exercise machine for running or walking while users stay within the same place. In the past, this machine was called as the treadwheel and it was often used as a punishment device. People who were sentenced had to walk on the wheel to grind grain. Of course, each of the machines comes with their own benefits. Some people think that they enjoy the treadmill benefits even more, but some people like having the elliptical machine benefits even more.
Treadmill vs Elliptical: The Comparison of Benefits and Flaws
When it comes to treadmill vs elliptical health advantages, be sure to know the details of each machine. When it comes to usage and treadmill benefits, there are some perks that you can enjoy, such as:
- Flexibility. You can have various different exercises, from slow walk, fast walk, to running. You can also have different adjustments for the programs, incline, and also speed.
- Natural motion. Having the treadmill is like having natural movement, so it is familiar.
- Reliable outcome. The treadmill is known to really provide real result as it is quite effective to burn off calories.
- Long period of existence. The treadmill has been around for quite some time, since the 1800s. It is quite reliable and trustworthy.
Despite all the benefits, there are also some flaws of the treadmill, such as:
- Safety problem. When you do high intensity exercise without having enough skills and ability, you can put yourself into health risks and dangers.
- Unnatural handles. Some of the most current treadmills come with heart rate feature, but you need to hold on to the handles. Running while holding on to the handles can be challenging as well as awkward.
- Tough and challenging on the joints. Running can cause hips, spine, ankle, and knee stress. When your body is stressed up, you can suffer from injuries.
On the other hand, when you are thinking about having elliptical, there are also some elliptical machine benefits that you can enjoy:
- The non impact benefit. Unlike the treadmill, you can enjoy the exercise without putting too much stress on your joints.
- Cross training method. Most elliptical machines are packed with movable handles so you can always train the muscles on the lower as well as upper body parts altogether.
- Reverse benefit. The pedal movement allows you to stride your movement in reverse manner, so you can add more challenges and strength to your body.
However, there are also some flaws of using the elliptical:
- Less versatility. Unlike the treadmill, the elliptical machines don’t have any incline features so it can’t add challenges to your routine.
- Not having enough weight effect. Because of the pedal design, the machine doesn’t have enough weight bear effect that can be achieved efficiently when running on the treadmill.
Those are the basic information about treadmill vs elliptical . Keep in mind that each has its positive sides as well as the negative ones. It is up to you to choose which one is better for you or your health.